Method of seed production
Method of seed production
Stages of seed production
- Breeder seed → Foundation Seed I → Foundation Seed II → Certified Seed.
- CO.1, CO.2. MDU 1, PKM.1, KKM.1, PLR. 1. AU1, Pusa purple long, Arka nidhi, Pant smart, Arka neelkanth, Arka shrish.
- COBH1, Arka Navneet (IIHR 22 1 x Supreme), Pusa H 5, Pusa H 6, MHB 10, MHB 39 (Mahyco), Azad Hybrid.
- The brinjal seed production can be taken up in the following two seasons.
- May June and December January
- The land should be free of volunteer plants.
- For varieties, 200 M and 100 M of isolation distance is required for foundation and certified seed, respectively.
- For hybrid seed production minimum of 200 M isolation distance should be maintained.
- Varieties - 400 500 g/ha
- Hybrids - 200 g/ha (Female)
-50 g/ha (Male)Seed treatment
- Seed treatment with Trichoderma viride @ 4g kg-1 before sowing can be practiced against the incidence of damping off disease.
- Drenching of copper oxy chloride at 0.1% at weekly interval minimize this disease.
- Sow the seeds in raised nursery bed of 20 cm height, in rows of 5 cm gap and covered with sand.
- Eight and ten nursery beds will be sufficient to transplant one acre.
- Apply 2 kg of DAP 10days before pulling out of seedling.
- Seedlings are transplanted when they are 30 35 days old (12 15 cm height) preferably in the evening time.
- Spacing of 75 x 60 cm (non spreading) and 90 x 60 cm (spreading) varieties, 90 x 60 cm for female parent and 60 x 45 cm for male parent of hybrids.
- The field should be thoroughly ploughed for fine tilth and apply 25 tons of FYM/ha.
- The other fertilizer requirement for brinjal variety and hybrid are same as followed for tomato seed production.
Specific Field Standards
- The roguing should be done based on the plant characters, leaf, branching and spreading characters and also based on fruit size, shape and color.
- The plants affected by phomopsis blight, leaf spot and little leaf virus disease should be removed from the seed production field.
Pest and disease management
|Off types – Variety (max)
|Designated diseased plant (max)
- The designated diseases in brinjal are Phomopsis blight caused by Phomopsis vexans and little leaf caused by Datura virus 2.
Nematode and Damping off disease
- Seed treatment with antagonistic fungi viz., Trichoderma harzianum 4 g/kg seed or T. viride 4 g/kg seed along with application of press mud at 5 kg/m2 or Carbonfuran 3 G 10 g/m2.
- Application of Carbofuran 3 G at 10 g/sq.m at the time of sowing and Pseudomonas fluorescens at 10 g/m2 for nematodes and damping off disease.
- Collection and destruction of the beetles, grubs and pupae.
- Spraying of carbaryl 50 WP 2 g/lit
Shoot and fruit borer
- Monitoring the whitefly with yellow sticky trap at 12/ha.
- Spraying of Neem oil 3% plus Teepol (1 ml/lit) or spraying of Neem Seed Kernel Extract 5 %.
- Removal of the affected terminal shoot showing boreholes and collection and destruction of affected fruits.
- Spraying any one of the following chemicals starting from one month after planting at 15 days interval
- Carbaryl 50 WP 2 g/lit + Wettable Sulphur 50% WP 2 g/lit.
- Triazophos 35 EC 2 ml/lit + Neem oil 3 %.
- Quinalphos 25 EC 2 ml/lit + Neem oil 3 %.
- Neem Seed Kernel Extract 5 %.
- Avoid using synthetic pyrethroids.
- Application of carbofuran 3 G at 15 kg/ha 15 days after planting.
Red Spider mite
- Methyl demeton 25 EC 2 ml/lit or dimethoate 30 EC 2 ml/lit.
- Release 1st instar larvae of Green lace wing bug (Chrysoperla carnea) @ 10,000 per ha.
- Spraying of dicofol 18.5 EC 2.5 ml/lit or wettable sulphur 50 WP 2g/lit.
- Treating the seeds with Trichoderma viride 4 g/kg or Pseudomonas fluorescens 10 g /kg of seed 24 hours before sowing.
- Application of Pseudomonas fluorescens as soil application @ 2.5 kg/ha mixed with 50 kg of FYM.
- Stagnation of water should be avoided.
- Drench with Copper oxychloride at 2.5 g/lit at 4lit/sq.m
- Spraying of Mancozeb 2 g/lit.
- Removal of the affected plants in the early stages and spraying of methyl demeton 25 EC 2ml/lit or dimethoate 30 EC 2 ml/lit. to control the vector
Last modified: Wednesday, 20 June 2012, 6:14 AM