Method of seed production
- CO 1, CO 2, PKM 1 and Pusa Nasdar
Figure1. Ribbed gourd plantSeason
- June-July and January- February
- After proper ploughing, at a spacing of 2.5 x 2 m distance take pits having 45 cm length, width and height.
- Ten days after pit preparation, apply 10 kg FYM and urea 20 g, super phosphate 90 g and potash 15 g per pit.
- Then mix the above nutrients with soil and fill the pits and level them. Since, it is vining in nature better to erect the pandal at 2 m height.
- It will facilitate for better growth and yield and also easy for roguing operation.
- Seed required for ha (2.5 kg) may be treated with fungicides before sowing.
- Then five seeds may be sown in a pit at equal distance. After the germination, retain three vigourous seedlings per pit and remove two seedlings.
- After sowing pits should be irrigated. After the seedling emergence, field should be irrigated once in a week.
Growth regulator spray
- In ribbed gourd, one or two manual weeding is necessary before the flowering stage.
- Spraying of ethrel at 250 ppm (i.e., 2.5 ml of ethrel in 10 lit of water) for four times starting from 15 days after sowing and followed by weekly intervals will facilitate more female flower production.
- Two split doses of urea as 22g/pit at flowering stage and another 18 g urea plus 5 g potash / pit each at 20 and 40 days after flowering.
- To control leaf cutting beetles and fruit flies and borers spray Malathion 50 EC 1 ml or Dimethioate 30 EC 1 ml or Fenthion 100 EC 1 ml/lit of water.
- Spray carbendazim 0.5 g or Dinocob 1 ml/lit of water.
- During vegetative, pod formation and pod harvest phases, roguing is attempted based on plant characters like height of plant, leaf shape, size, surface of leaf and fruit characteristics like length of fruit, size, shape and colour.
- Plants showing symptoms of yellow mosaic are also removed.
- The change of pod colour to brown is the indication for harvest.
- Once there is a symptom of hair line cracks on the edges of the pod, it should be harvested without any delay.
- The harvests will be done in different pickings
Figure 2. Fruits selected for seed extractionPod grading
- After the pod harvest and before the seed extraction, only healthy pods of true to type and free from pest/ disease infestation is to be selected for seed extraction.
Figure3. Removal of small and other variety fruitsSeed extraction
- For seed extraction, fruits are cut opened or make holes at the distal end of the pod and separate the seeds easily.
- Separated seeds are to be pre-cleaned manually by removing the white and pale yellow coloured ill filled seeds
Figure 4. Seed extractionProcessing
- And then the seeds are to be processed with 16/64" round perforated metal sieve or BSS 4 wire mesh sieve.
Figure 5. Ill filled seedsStorage
- Seeds dried to 7 to 8 % moisture content and dry dressed with thiram / captan 75% wettable powder or halogen mixture @ 3 g / kg of seeds, can be stored in cloth bag up to 10 months and over 18 months in moisture vapour proof containers.
Last modified: Monday, 25 June 2012, 4:40 AM