Grading of overcrowding
- Based on person per room
- Based on floor space area
- Based on sex separation
Based on Persons per room
Acceptable norm is –
1 room – 2 person
2 rooms – 3 person
3 rooms – 5 person
4 rooms – 7 person
5 or more rooms – 10 (addl. 2 for each room)
Based on Floor Space…
Accepted standards are :
Indicators of housing
Indicators of house are a guide of quality of house. They include –
- Physical: These are based on floor space, cubic space, room height, persons per room, rooms per dwelling, environmental quality (e.g. air, light, water, noise, sewage disposal, etc)
- Economic indicators: These are cost of the building, rental levels, taxes, expenditure on housing, etc.
- Social indicators: include -
- Indicators related to prevention of illness :
- Frequency of illness due to inadequate sewage and garbage collection.
- Frequency of illness associated with contaminated water source.
- Frequency of insect borne diseases
- Frequency of illness due to overcrowding
- Frequency of illness due to accidents.
- Frequency of illness due to proximity to animals.
- Access to medical facility.
Indicators related to comfort
- Thermal comfort
- Acoustic comfort
- Visual comfort
- Spatial comfort
Indicators related to mental health and social well-being:
- Frequency of suicides in the neighborhood
- Neglected and abandoned youth in the neighborhood
- Drug abuse (including alcohol) in the neighborhood