Principles of management
1. Division of work: Work specialization results improving efficiency of operation. The concept of division of work can be applied to both manage aerial and technical function.
2. Authority and responsibility: Authority is defined as the right to give orders and the power to exact obedience. Authority can be formal or personal. Normal authority is derived from once official position and personal authority is derived from factors like intelligence and experience. Authority and responsibility go hand in hand.
3. Discipline: Discipline is vital for running on organization smoothly. It involves obedience to authority, adherence to rules, respect for superiors and dedication to ones job.
4. Unity of command: Each employee should receive orders or instruction from superiors only.
5. Unity of direction : Activity should be organized in such a way that they all come under plane and are supervised from one person
6. Subordination from the individual interest to the general interest: Individual interest should not take precedence over the goals of the organization.
7. Remuneration: The compensation paid to employees should based on the ability of the firm to pay.
8. Centralization: depending on the situation an organization should adopt be centralized are approach to make optimum use of its personal.
9. Scalar chain : The reference to the chain of authority that extends from the top to the bottom organization. The scalar chain defines communication path in an organization.
10. Order : This refers to both material and social order in organization material order indicated that everything is kept in the right place to facilitate smooth coordination of work activities. Similarly social order that the right person is placed in the right job.
11. Equality : All employ should be treated fairly. A manager should treat all employ in the same manner without prejudice.
12. Stability of tenure personnel : A high labour turn over should be prevented and managers should motivate they are employees to do better job.
13. Initiative : employee should be encourage to give suggestion and develop new work and better to practices.
14. Esprit de corps : this means a management must a team spirit in its employees.
Last modified: Friday, 13 January 2012, 6:23 AM