Furniture manufacturers today utilize a variety of materials and specialized finishes for indoor and outdoor furniture designed to protect the furniture during regular use. Cleaners, waxes and polishes are available to protect the finish of furniture from scratches and abrasions.
Cleaning and polishing the furniture should be done on a regular basis. Dust attracts moisture, which can accumulate and soften the finish on the furniture, which can lead to further damage, possibly to the wood itself. There are a variety of furniture care products readily available at most department stores, hardware centers and even in supermarkets. Regular care and maintenance will give the years of satisfaction that is expected when purchasing the furniture’s. Furniture Care Basics
- Dust furniture regularly
- Keep furniture out of direct sunlight.
- Avoid placing furniture in front of or near the windows, to protect from sun and rain
- Place furniture away from heating and air conditioning vents.
- Blot up the food or any spills immediately.
- Use coasters, placemats and tablecloths to protect furniture during use.
- Lift and place the items instead of sliding across furniture surfaces.
- Rotate accessories on the furniture periodically.
- Avoid prolonged use of plastic and rubber items on the furniture.
- Attend to repair and polish the furniture once a year or as and when needed.
- Use outdoor furniture covers to care and preserve the garden furniture.
Outdoor Furniture Care
Outdoor living and entertaining has always been a favorite for the family. The selection of materials and styles for the patio, deck, backyard or garden furniture is as varied as ever. The quality of these furnishings has improved. The methods of care for outdoor teak furniture will differ from the care and maintenance needed for the aluminum furniture.
Outdoor furniture covers offer extra protection for garden furniture. Although most outdoor furniture are made up of weather- resistant materials, the necessity of protective covers must not be overlooked. The long-term effects of harsh weather conditions and its natural effects can take its toll in spoiling/damaging the furniture. This can alter the appearance, durability and over all shape of the furniture. So it is vital to use outdoor furniture covers. General Outdoor Furniture Care Tips
The following are the tips to maintain the covers of the garden furniture:
- Remove wooden furniture from standing water.
- Avoid direct contact with damp soil for extended periods.
- Dust and Clean outdoor furniture first before putting on the furniture cover.
- The simplest and easiest way to clean furniture cover is while they are covering the furniture. If there are spotted stains, wash it by using mild soap and water. In case of heavier stains, make use of bleach, mild detergent and water. Spray it on the stained area, then rinse it and dry.
- Cover the furniture well when not in use.
- Make sure that the furniture covers are dry before they are kept in storage.
- Some outdoor furniture finishes require reapplication at regular intervals.
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for cleaning and maintaining the finish at regular intervals