Almost all accessories have some functional as well as aesthetic value. The points to be considered while selecting the accessories are expressiveness, line, form, color, appropriateness or theme. If there are too many accessories, a room becomes cluttered and disorderly in appearance. If a family has large collection of accessories, use a few and make changes occasionally to add interest to each room. Some of the general principles to be followed in placement of accessories are as follows .
- Accessories should be placed with suitable background.
- Accessories in a room should show variation, for it would be monotonous if they are all made of the same type of material.
- The size, shape, color, theme, texture and purpose of an accessory should blend harmoniously with the color scheme with the overall established arrangements in that particular room.
- If the room furnishings are primarily of one period (traditional/contemporary, modern etc.), the accessories should be of the same period or be in harmony with it.
- One of the important rules to follow in order to give the accessories their proper setting is to mix formal with formal and informal with informal.
- In all, accessories should meet the basic requirements of harmony.
Care of accessories:
Care and maintenance of accessories is essential to serve the very purpose of using them. In brief, care tips based on material are as follows.
BrassPolishing should be done by using brasso. Traditionally cleaning was done with tamarind and salt.
Wood: Repairing, Varnishing, Polishing and painting gives a new look to the objects and also enhance the durability.
Glass: Slight warm water with soap (or) with tissue paper dipped in soapy water can be used. Aluminum:Any mild detergent can be used for cleaning.
Ceramic: Objects can be cleaned by water and mild detergents.
Porcelain: Cleaned with a soap solution.
Plastics: Cleaned with a soap solution.
Cast iron: Rust can be removed, and then paint with synthetic enamel paint can be used.
Fabric: Periodical dusting, washing and ironing can be done, if it is washable. Dry cleaning can also be done.
Mirror: Tissue paper or news paper dipped in water can be used.
Small rugs: Small rugs can be washed if washable or vacuum cleaner, sun drying is also suggested, after the dust/soil is removed.