FOOD SCIENCE AND PROCESSING 3(2+1)
Uma Maheswari, CHSc
C.H.Sc, ANGRAU, Hyderabad
At the end of the course, the student will have knowledge of
- The chemical and physical changes taking place when processed /cooked/ storage/preservation.
- understanding of the changes that occur in these components during food preparation whether natural or included by handling procedures.
- understanding the nutritive value of different foods and methods of preserving them during cooking.
- Outline the main ways in which primary production of food is of importance to food product quality·
- Describe the reasons why food is processed
- Apply the above basic knowledge of food ingredients and processing operations to describe how cheese, emulsions and milk powder are made
- Select appropriate processes and preservation methods for fresh foods and manufacture foods and food ingredients with enhanced shelf-life.
- Describe cold storage and freezing processes in industrial food manufacturing.